The first process in the 'after the reading phase' is reviewing at the factual level of thinking. This is an important function in the thinking process as it requires the learner to reorganise and revisit the information in some logical way. It is like a bird's eye view of the events of a story or article. It reflects the overall structure of the text.
How can we help students in the reviewing process?
- Ask, what were the facts, events, or important parts of the passage?
- Draw a cartoon of the events of the story.
- Order the scenes in their correct order.
- Draw a diagram or make an info graphic of the ideas from the article.
- Make a timeline of events or a flow chart of the ideas in the article.