Let me share some insights about this publication.
'Developing Literacy in the Secondary Classroom is an accessible and comprehensive guide to a wide range of topics relating to literacy, learning and assessment. Taking a learner-centred approach with discussion questions and activities that encourage reflection on key issues and topics covered in each chapter, this is a book that will appeal to teachers and researchers looking for a clear, well-referenced and very practical guide to the field.' Marcello Giovanelli, Senior Lecturer, Aston University.
Today's secondary classrooms are increasingly diverse places and skilled teachers need to be able to develop flexible teaching strategies that can be adopted to best serve diverse learners with divergent needs. This book provides teachers and pre-service teachers with practical guidance on many essential aspects of literacy teaching, and shows how research can be applied to teaching practice.
Key coverage includes:
- The fundamental aspects of teaching reading and writing to adolescent learners
- How to intelligently select and use literature with secondary students
- Multi-literacies and the use of technology in Teaching
- Assessment strategies for the classroom
- Teaching techniques for developing reading comprehension